Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rebuilding the NV4500

Three weeks ago my brother and I dedicated some time to convert the gas 2wd NV4500 to the diesel 4wd.  I have had the parts for quite a while but I have not had the time.  I was a little nervous at first but I had a thorough manual from quad4x4.com (here).  I didn't want to buy the mainshaft nut tool so I asked my brother to try to get it off with a chisel and hammer.  I didn't care if he broke it because I needed a new one to fit the new mainshaft.  He got it off pretty quickly after I told him that.

Next up was the fifth gear.  Again I didn't want to run around trying to find a tool to pull it off so we made our own tool.
We cut this angle iron to fit around the 5th gear lip and used two screws, some nuts, and spacers to work it off of the shaft.   

This is a lot cheaper than buying tools.

The rest of the steps were very easy as they were clearly explained in the manual.  One note though the snap rings on the mainshaft are a pain in the rear to get off.

This is it when everything was out.  

Sorry about these pictures.  I have been using my wife's Nikon D90 and so far we have only purchased one lens, the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D. It is a prime lens and I didn't bother to adjust anything when I took these pictures so the depth of field isn't what I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment