Friday, February 12, 2010

Found my FJ60!

So I was looking on craigslist in Tucson and I found the car for the swap. Some guy had a beautiful 1986 FJ60 with a thrown rod. Perfect as I did not need the engine anyway. I arranged a time to get the car and tried to set something up with uhaul(not the brightest group of people).

U-Haul Story
I walked into the store to rent a car trailer or tow dolly. I told the guy that I was going to tow an 1986 FJ60 with a Diesel Ford F-350 (crew cab monster, my friend owns a construction company). He told me I couldn't tow the car with a tow dolly or car trailer because the towing vehicle was not heavy enough. I said seriously? 9,500 pounds isn't enough? Those trucks are rated to tow a heck of a lot more than a 4,500 pound car and a 2,000 pound trailer. I argued with him for a minute and he didn't get it. So I said fine what can I do and he said you can rent one of our small moving vans and use that. Wait a minute, your crappy 14ft van can tow the car trailer and the cruiser but the truck can't? Am I missing something here?

So I called them back after verifying the specs on my friend's truck. This time they said that it isn't the truck's problem but the trailer's. The trailer can't handle the 4500 pound landcruiser. What??? What is the trailer good for then, Honda Civics and why were you going to rent me the van and the trailer before? Like I said before not the brightest group of people. I ended up buying a crappy tow bar for way too much at their store. I won't be doing business with them for a long, long time. Idiots.

Back to the car now. My brother and I drove out to get the FJ60 with this crappy tow bar and by pure luck the thing fit and we were able the get it home and then to Phoenix the next day.

Car is absolutely perfect. No rust all the bolts come off easy and I think I got a super deal. Here are some pics. There are some obvious aesthetic problems but that is okay by me.

The guy broke the windshield after he threw the rod.



No comments:

Post a Comment