Saturday, February 20, 2010

Update on the transmission

I decided to make this landcruiser 4x4. I was going to wait to do that but I decided to get it all done before I start driving it everywhere. Advanced Adapters makes an adapter kit for the nv4500 to mate to the existing landcruiser(here is the link) transfer case. I know that there are better options for transfer cases but I am not going to take this thing out in rough country that much. Don't get me wrong I will go off-roading but not that seriously. This is supposed to be a family car that gets good gas mileage.

This kit requires the 4x4 HD dodge 29 spline output shaft. My transmission came from the gas model so I need to change this. I was going to update the 5th gear anyway so this isn't bad news. I also need to update the input shaft to make this gas transmission work with the cummins. I called High Impact and got what seemed to be a good quote. I also called standard transmission in Fort Worth. Standard was a bit more expensive but they would install everything. I would go with them but I need to cut the output shaft for the adapter package. I haven't made a final decision but I am leaning towards buying the stuff from High Impact and installing it myself.

On a side note I did get a bell housing, release fork, pivot and spring from High Impact. It should be here next weekend. Hopefully I (or I should say my brother) can start to make the mounts.

 The bellhousing


 The engine after the test fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment