Friday, February 12, 2010

NV4500 here we go

The next step was to get the transmission. I had been searching the internet for a few weeks but I couldn't find anything for less than about $1600 dollars. I didn't want to pay that much so I kept searching.

I happened upon an eBay auction that had a 1995 Dodge 2500 with a 5-speed. I quickly went to their company website and emailed them about the transmission. They said the truck had about 140,000 miles on it and gave me a price, $850 for the tranny. Needless to say I bought it. If you are interested it was from Nordstrom Automotive out in South Dakota.

But I have to admit that in my excitement I did something stupid. I also got the clutch, flywheel, and starter. I wish I didn't do that because I failed to realize something completely obvious. The Cummins 6BT is a 5.9L engine. The dodge gas engine is a 5.9L engine. They both came in that kind of truck. But this truck had the gasser and I didn't ask because the listing said 5.9L 2500. I forgot to double check before I bought the starter, flywheel, and clutch. Now I am the idiot. It was an extra $270 that I didn't need to spend. Anybody need a good clutch, flywheel and starter for a gas 1995 Dodge 2500?

The truck came from somewhere in South Dakota so it was a little bit rusty. I cleaned it up and painted it with some Rust-Oleum. My wife wanted to paint it hot pink. I almost went with that.

I understand that I need to change a few things to make this work with the cummins but if the quotes I got are accurate I think I will come out well under the $1600 mark for buying a new one with no core.

No comments:

Post a Comment