Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lift Kit

All the websites that I found said that I needed to have about 6 inches of lift in order to comfortably fit the 4BT in the FJ60.  After all of my research I decided to go with a body lift and suspension lift.  

Body lifts for the FJ60 are way too expensive for what they are so I decided to make my own.  I ordered aluminum rod because it was cheaper than the UHMW polyethylene that other people have used.  My friend's brother has a metal lathe and a metal cutting bandsaw and he was willing to do the work for me.  Took about two hours to make and three hours to install by myself.

Total price $91.70

$46.70 for 3 feet of 2" round rod aluminum
$25 for 12 Grade 8 Bolts-four 8", two 6.5" and six 7", washers and nuts
$20 for labor


Bandsaw in action




Drilling the holes and facing the lift blocks on the lathe


The results of the lift


I know that this looks weird but I am planning on getting a bigger bumper anyway.  I can live with this for a while.


The front lift block under the pedal area.


Side view


Other side with a view of the engine.  It actually fits well even without the suspension lift.  Maybe I'll save for a better suspension lift now.  


If you are curious, I jacked the body up, off of the frame after disconnecting the brake lines, etc.  I jacked one side up and put jack stands with wooden blocks under the body on the pinch rail.  I moved to the other side and and jacked it up.  Then I installed the lift blocks and lowered it back down.  Easy stuff.

The suspension lift will come at a later date when more funds are available.  Here is what I would like though.



I am also getting the ARB bull bar from these guys.  I used this company when I bought an OME lift for my pathfinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment